Monday, January 19, 2009

Panama marcado con "Travel Warning" Para Ciudadanos Canadienses

Travel Reports & Warnings

Travel Reports offer information on safety and security, local laws and customs, entry requirements, health conditions and other important travel issues. Countries with an asterisk (*) currently contain a Travel Warning, indicating that Canadians should either avoid non-essential travel to the country or to specific region(s) of the country, or avoid all travel to the country or to specific region(s) of the country.
Travelling to a country with a Travel Warning may impact your health insurance and/or trip cancellation insurance. The decision to travel is the sole responsibility of the individual.


Exercise high degree of caution

Although the security situation is stable, Canadians should exercise a high degree of caution in Panama due to high crime rates.Demonstrations and protest marches over various social and political issues occasionally occur in Panama City near the university, and on main streets and highways. Because of the unpredictable nature of these demonstrations and the potential for violence, Canadians should exercise caution, avoid large gatherings and demonstrations, and monitor local news reports.

Regional Warning

Avoid all travel

OFFICIAL WARNING: Foreign Affairs and International Trade Canada advises against all travel beyond Yaviza located in the Darién province. The danger zone begins at the end of the Pan American Highway (past Yaviza, about 230 km southeast of Panama City) and ends at the Colombian border. This area includes parts of Darién National Park and privately owned nature reserves and tourist resorts. Due to the presence of Colombian guerilla groups and drug traffickers, levels of violent crime in this zone are extremely high, with numerous reports of kidnapping, armed robberies, deaths and disappearances.

OFFICIAL REGISTRATION RECOMMENDATION: We offer a registration service for all Canadians travelling or living abroad. This service is provided so that we can contact and assist you in an emergency abroad, such as a natural disaster or civil unrest, or inform you of a family emergency at home. Registration can be done on-line or by contacting a Canadian government office abroad. For more information, see our FAQs on Registration of Canadians Abroad.

No comments: